Eating tree nuts helps your heart, lowers your cholesterol and adds essential nutrients to your body. Munch a few, make them a part of your nutritional standard and discover the many ways walnuts, almonds and other nuts can add radiance to your skin and provide a great source of proteins, minerals and other life-enhancing nutrients.
For many years, nuts have gotten a bad rap for being high in fat. But in reality, they are a vital part of our diet, as they are high in the monounsaturated fats that actually keep us heart-healthy and disease-free.
Eating nuts, as part of a healthy diet, can be good for your heart, lower your cholesterol, and give colon care and more. They contain unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients and are therefore a great snack food, too. They’re inexpensive, they are easy to store and they are easy to take with you to work, school or anywhere on the go.
Truly the type of nut you eat isn’t that important, although some nuts have more heart-healthy nutrients and healthy fats than do others. Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts — you name it — almost every type of nut has a lot of nutrition packed into a tiny package.
One of the best nuts on earth, walnuts may actually increase our brain function. Studies show that consumption of walnuts is related to heart-health, better cognitive function, as well as the reduction of skin and bone conditions. Packed full of an antioxidant, researchers have shown that walnuts contain 16 disease-fighting polyphenols.
A small handful of almonds give you almost 25% percent of your daily needs for magnesium, and more bone-strengthening calcium than an equal amount of milk.
They are also high in many antioxidants, such as vitamin E and selenium. Studies show that the high fiber content in almonds may play an important role in preventing colon cancer and they help us to actually lower negative forms of cholesterol in the blood stream.
Generally the Pecan is our most standard nut of choice. Recent clinical studies show that this nut significantly lowers cholesterol. They are also a great source of twenty essential vitamins and minerals and easy to get whether in the shell or bagged.
High in heart-healthy nutrients and minerals like copper, niacin, vitamin E, fiber, magnesium, and selenium, studies on Brazil Nuts show that this protein-packed snack may aid in the prevention of breast cancer.
Legend has it that the pistachio trees were plant in Nebuchadnezzar’s famed gardens around 600BC. Hosting a royal past and loaded with vitamin B6, these good for you treats give you a royal treat(ment). They are seed fruits of the pistachio tree and a close relative of cashews. The shells are typically a light brown color and the nuts are often dyed red or green to hide damage of the outer shell inflicted during processing.
Such a high health impact food that delivers tremendous energy and is still so over looked. A recent study has determined that only 5.5% of all adults (ages 19-50) consume tree nuts of any kind! This small percentage of people actually does a pretty good job of integrating tree nuts into their diet, and average about 1.25 ounces of nuts per day. But the other 94.5% of us report no consumption of tree nuts whatsoever.
A powerhouse of nutrition that is just darn good, healthy nuts are definitely a great addition to your family’s diet.